Standortkarte

Standortmanagement Golm GmbH

Standortmanagement Golm GmbH was founded in 2008 as a wholly-owned subsidiary of GO:INcubator GmbH. The goal was to further expand the research park, which at that time was known under the name of Wissenschaftspark Potsdam-Golm. The interests of all institutions at the park were bundled together to more effectively increase awareness of the park beyond the borders of Brandenburg. In January 2018, the new stakeholders, the state capital Potsdam (51%) and the University of Potsdam (49%), acquired the parent company of Standortmanagement Golm GmbH and set new priorities.

Standortmanagement Goals

The objectives of the Standortmanagement stakeholders are:

  • to create at least 1,000 new and highly qualified jobs in Golm
  • to locate at least one anchor company and 100 SMEs in Golm
  • to attract at least 100 million euros in investments in commercial real estate

Management has been assumed by Agnes von Matuschka.

A top-class working group, the Taskforce Golm, is developing further measures and a concrete implementation plan to develop the Potsdam Science Park into an internationally competitive location for innovative solutions within the next ten years. Representatives of various ministries and regional political institutions are involved as stakeholders.

Funding from the European Union, the State and the City of Potsdam

Since 1993, more than 450 million euros in EU funds have been invested in infrastructure, research and development at the Golm site.

Since 2018, the Standortmanagement itself receives 750,000 euros per year from the European Regional Development Fund within the framework of a three-year funding commitment with an emphasis on the exchange of knowledge and technology.

The goal is to initiate and support projects and processes that promote the development of an internationally competitive location for innovative solutions.

The grant is earmarked to ensure Standortmanagement implements of the following key tasks:

  • Non-scientific public relations work for the entire Potsdam Science Park
  • Development and implementation of strategy-oriented communication and advertising
  • Strategic lobbying and networking
  • Initiation and support of new development projects
  • Establishment of an attractive Entrepreneurial Ecosystem at the site
  • Community Management for founders, entrepreneurs, and businesses
  • Facilitation of knowledge and technology transfer

 

Grant from the City of Potsdam, the State Capital

Potsdam, the state capital, is supporting Standortmanagement Golm GmbH with an initial annual grant of 42,000 euros for the years 2018 and 2019 to support activities at the science location.

Funding has been granted to provide support for development projects in Potsdam, to ensure individual guidance and support for interested investors and companies, and to develop sustainable business opportunities and offers for special user groups.

History of the Park

The Potsdam Science Park echoes a long and varied history. The historical university buildings reflect on the numerous institutions that were located here in the past. The General Wever Barracks, built in 1935, housed the “Luftnachrichtenabteilung Oberbefehlshaber der Luftwaffe” (Air News Department, Commander-in-Chief of the Air Force) beginning in 1943. The largest part of the “Abwehr”, the military secret service of the Wehrmacht, was also located in Golm. In 1951, the ” Schule des Ministeriums für Staatssicherheit” (School of the Ministry of State Security) was established, a central training facility for employees of the Ministry of State Security of the GDR, which existed under various names until 1989, most recently as the “Juristische Hochschule Potsdam” (Potsdam University of Law) (Source: www.uni-potsdam.de/de/zeitzeichen/standorte/golm.html)

After the reunification of Germany in July 1991, the newly founded University of Potsdam took over the properties in Golm. Parts of the humanities department were first settled there, and later the departments of human sciences, mathematics and natural sciences. Around the same time in 1992, strategic political decisions promoted the establishment of large research societies in the former East. The Max Planck Institute for Molecular Plant Physiology was the first non-university institution to begin operations in Golm in 1994. Two further Max Planck Institutes, Colloids and Interfaces and the Institute of Gravitational Physics (Albert Einstein Institute), followed in 1999. In the years 2000 and 2006, the Fraunhofer Institute for Applied Polymer Research and the Fraunhofer Institute for Biomedical Engineering, which is now called the Institute for Cell Therapy and Immunology, were established.

To attract start-ups and founders, the GO:IN Innovation Center opened in 2007. In the following years, the Park’s infrastructure was further expanded, including: a kindergarten, student residences, shopping facilities, a conference centre and several extensions to the local research institutes. In 2015, the Brandenburg State Archives moved into the Science Park.

Since then, Potsdam Science Park has grown into Brandenburg’s largest and most innovative location for research and business. In the current expansion phase, more than 30,000 square metres of laboratory and office space are being created, and a further ten hectares are being developed on the Technology Campus for research and production.

Information on Development and Construction Plans